Kass: Patience Is a Virtue
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
-- Leo Tolstoy
In other words, there is no quick fix. It will take time.
Neither a Polyanna nor a Cassandra am I. Both seem to court hyperbole in their attention-getting while neither really achieves superior or even adequate investment returns.Rather, I remain of the view that we are in a broad trading range of approximately 825 to 1,025 on the S&P 500, an exquisite trading backdrop but an uncertain investing environment. Or, as Jim Cramer appropriately writes, "a period of nothing happening" seems to be the likely order of the next several months. As I have written previously, a patient suffering a massive heart attack does not get out of bed and play three sets of tennis. Despite the near-term upward momentum of the markets, which is beginning to drag in the non believers, most individual investors should still be less concerned about opportunity cost and more concerned about the potential for lost capital. The economic sky is no longer falling nor is the S&P 500 moving to levels forecast by doomsayers weeks ago. But the economic sky is not all clear nor is the S&P going to immediately regain a meaningful amount of the lost value of 2008. Patience, persistence and perspiration will make an unbeatable combination for investment success in the months ahead. Doug Kass writes daily for RealMoney Silver, a premium bundle service from TheStreet.com. For a free trial to RealMoney Silver and exclusive access to Mr. Kass's daily trading diary, please click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV