Under the terms of the merger, approved by the boards of both companies, Endo will acquire Indevus for $370 million, or $4.50per share, in cash, plus up to an extra $267 million, or $3 per share, in cash "payable in the future upon achievement of certain milestones," according to a statement from Indevus.
"We believe Endo's proven commercial capabilities, targeted approach to medical marketing and unique understanding of the changes taking place in health care delivery today will ensure the success of our current and future products," said Dr. Glenn L. Cooper, chairman and chief executive officer of Indevus.
Endo shares closed down $2.03, or 7.8%, at $24.05 Monday, and Indevus shares closed down 5 cents, or 1.6%, at $3.10.An analyst at Caris & Co cut its rating on Endo to above average from buy Monday morning, saying the company's proposed near-term growth strategy was unclear.
Endo competes in the biotech space with Abbott Labs (ABT) and Pfizer (PFE). Indevus competes with Allergan (AGN), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Watson Pharmaceuticals (WPI).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV