As our very own Jim Cramer likes to say: "There's always a bull market somewhere". And in 2008, the bull market for Dumbness soared as Wall Street sank to new literal and figurative lows.
The year 2008 was surely an annus horribilis on Wall Street, and not just for hedge fund managers, investment bankers and Madoff victims. From Eliot Spitzer's shocking revelation and resignation as Governor last March, through the collapse of Lehman Brothers this September, until, most recently, the discovery of Bernard Madoff's $50 billion ponzi scheme, investors worldwide were treated to an unending string of shenanigans and bad news. As a result, stocks fell nearly 40% for the year, while layoffs and taxpayer bailout funds were way, way up.
On the bright side, we here at the 5 Dumbest Lab were blessed with a surfeit of stupidity from which to choose our weekly jibes. Like the luckiest fisherman in the world, we didn't need a net to scoop up all of Wall Street's silliness. It just jumped in our proverbial boat.
And as difficult as it was to select a starting five each week, it was even tougher to sort through all that dumb material to find the year's 10 best.So with this in mind, and hope for better times ahead, we offer you this, our countdown list of the Top Ten Dumbest Things On Wall Street In 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV