Not all lenders will offer just a 0.125% rate cut per point -- the bigger the rate cut per point, the less time it will take for the interest savings to surpass the savings from a bigger down payment. Consider asking the various lenders how much each mortgage point (also called a discount point) will lower the overall interest rate, and factoring that into your decision.
For instance, in the New York metropolitan area, Webster Bank (WBS) and Capital One (COF) offer the same interest rate of 5.25% on their 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages, but one might offer a larger rate cut per point than the other, according to BankingMyWay.com.
Without taking into consideration the impact of closing costs on the cost of the loan, paying the points on the Wachovia offer is the better option if you plan on living in your home for five years or more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV