One year ago, when the price of crude oil sat comfortably above $100 a barrel, the energy space was a feeding frenzy as investors tripped over each other looking for companies that were exploring new, sometimes zany sources of fuel.
Petrobras (PZE) dumping $240 billion into new oil wells off of Brazil's coast that go five miles deep?
Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) spending billions of dollars to extract oil from tar-sand pit mines in Canada?
Refining biofuel from blades of grass, or even the from the gizzards left over from your Thanksgiving dinner?All of those ideas and more were deemed economically viable when crude oil was above three digits. Today, oil is trading for about $40 a barrel, and the world that once offered infinite possibilities is now uncomfortably cluttered with limits, restrictions and caveats. Some energy sources that were considered cash cows a year ago now yield only marginal rates of return. Other efforts to find energy sources have been shelved, and some investors and companies promoting them have gone bankrupt. The Des Moines Register reported that 16 of the country's 182 ethanol plants have filed for bankruptcy and cited a source that that number would likely surpass 40 in early 2009. Here are some of the most newsworthy energy ideas that emerged in the commodity bubble, along with their current status as a viable source of fuel in the future:
Canadian Tar Sands: Let Them Keep This Dirty, Expensive Oil ResourceRecent estimates suggest that Canada's tar sands could hold more recoverable oil than Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, current science requires that oil be extracted from tar sands in a pit-mining process that is extremely expensive (as well as harmful to the environment).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV