Rob Haines, an analyst at bond research firm CreditSights, says a government investment in the life insurance sector makes sense because life insurers buy lots of corporate bonds. If insurers are healthy, they can in turn supply credit to other industries.
The GMAC approval also bodes well for other financial companies whose status as banks is less than obvious. Among these is Discover Financial Services (DFS). The lender has received preliminary approval to become a bank holding company, but has not received any federal funds so far.
Rival American Express (AXP) in November made the switch to bank holding company status and received approval for $3.4 billion in TARP funds last week. Investment banks Goldman Sachs (GS) and Morgan Stanley (MS), who were among the initial recipients of TARP investments, were granted bank holding company status in September.
Discover spokesman Jon Drummond says the credit card company estimates it is eligible for $400 million to $1.2 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV