Monday was a day of bloodletting as NFL owners gave pink slips to coaches whose teams' playoff hopes were dashed on Sunday, if not long before that. The decisions can seem pretty cut and dried when it comes down to a team's win-loss record, like the Detroit Lions' 0-16 streak, which cost coach Rod Marinelli his job yesterday.
And the Jets' loss of four of their last five games was too much disappointment for Eric Mangini's bosses to take. Wins and losses are cold, hard facts that can't be argued down.
As in football, stock ratios are cold, hard numbers, usually based on data that can get fudged a bit. Using several ratios to value a stock helps to cover all your bases in case a company's earnings statements look a little too managed from quarter to quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV