Monday was a day of bloodletting as NFL owners gave pink slips to coaches whose teams' playoff hopes were dashed on Sunday, if not long before that. The decisions can seem pretty cut and dried when it comes down to a team's win-loss record, like the Detroit Lions' 0-16 streak, which cost coach Rod Marinelli his job yesterday.
And the Jets' loss of four of their last five games was too much disappointment for Eric Mangini's bosses to take. Wins and losses are cold, hard facts that can't be argued down.
As in football, stock ratios are cold, hard numbers, usually based on data that can get fudged a bit. Using several ratios to value a stock helps to cover all your bases in case a company's earnings statements look a little too managed from quarter to quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV