Better Audio for Less: THIEL Audio SCS4
As we head into the final week of 2008, it may be tough to see a silver lining in today's rocky markets -- but you can certainly hear one.
Audio is confounding today's dark economy. To my eye -- or ear, rather -- there has never been better sound at better prices. You can hear the value seemingly everywhere.
It is no secret that major consumer electronics vendors like Samsung and Panasonic (PC) have not been shy about bundling and discounting their televisions and other media products with decent sound systems. Best Buy (BBY) in particular loves to push these so-called bundled packages. Recently, the retailer featured a Sony (SNE) 32-inch 720 P LCD HDTV matched with a five-speaker so-called 5.1 surround-sound home theater system, both for $699 or about $450 off list. The audio quality from these sorts of systems, while not at the tip top of my impossible-to-satisfy standards, are respectable given the spend.
What is getting overlooked in these no-go times is that there is plenty to listen for from smaller, less-well-known audio makers. These companies have their roots in the hot house world of audiofile sound. That is the place where sound junkies -- like me -- try to justify that, yes, spending $200,000 on a two-speaker sound system is reasonable.The names l know -- and have audio love for these days -- out of the flocks of these makers is Joseph Audio, Bel Canto Design, Jeff Rowland Design Group, Sumiko, Von Schweikert Audio, Manley Labs and Pass Labs. But even these once lofty brands are offering some nice equipment at reasonable prices. I have been testing one such, entry-level lux audio product: THIEL Audio's SCS4s loudspeaker ($1,000 each).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV