Personal Finance Predictions for 2009
Sure, 2009 has the potential to be one of the worst economic years in recent memory. But knowing that this is a possibility gives you the opportunity to anticipate some of the events you may face in the coming year.
Taking the time to understand what is likely to happen will go a long way to helping you avoid the money pitfalls that could trip you up if you don't consider and prepare for them. Here are some personal finance-related predictions to keep in mind when mapping out your 2009 financial goals.
You'll know someone who's suffering financially. The current economic strife is going to become something personal rather than a story about someone else on the news. Whether it is you personally, a family member or a friend, you are going to know someone (and likely a number of people) that are directly affected by the weak economy and who find themselves in a financial position they never imagined they would be in. You should not be surprised if at some point in 2009 you are asked by someone for financial help.
Your best option is to already have a plan specifically spelled out on what you are and aren't willing to do to help anyone who asks for financial support. Taking the time to put in place a strategy that you feel comfortable with will help ensure that you don't end up making a financial mistake when a friend or loved one approaches you with a request for money and a decision needs to made quickly. Having a well-defined money-lending policy will also help you avoid making decisions based on emotion in the heat of the moment, and that could save you financial trauma in the years ahead.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV