Holiday sales of luxury items, for example, fell by more than one-third from a year earlier.
Of course, buried in Amazon's own data of the past three holiday seasons is reason enough to be less optimistic. On Dec. 26, 2006 the company said that on its "best" shopping day of that holiday season orders "exceeded" 4 million items.
A year later, in 2007, the company noted its best day logged 5.4 million orders. And this year, 6.3 milllion orders came from the season's top day.
So, in 2007 the top-order day grew by 35%. This year, the top day's sales were only 16.7% above last year.In other words, growth fell by half. That takes a little shine off "best ever," doesn't it? None of this is to say that Amazon isn't a relatively cheap stock for the longer-term investor, or that it's anything but well-positioned competitively for a time when consumers return to consuming. But it seems like it's high time to take Amazon's "Best Ever" holiday sales press release with a grain of salt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV