Short Stock Funds Clean Up
Recent debate has raged about the leveraged shorting strategies employed by some exchange-traded fund products in the market, and Jim Cramer and others have pointed out issues in regards to rebalancing, as well as the increased volatility these investment vehicles bring to the market. Them there's the ultimate criticism: some performance numbers, especially of sector funds, are outright disastrous.
This does not mean that all shorting strategies employed by ETFs can be debunked as can be seen from the TSC Ratings table of the top 20 rated stock mutual funds for the month of November. All funds below carry an A+ rating; however, the clear difference in the list is the top three funds, which are all designed to profit from market falls.
Investors should focus their attention on the Federated Prudent Bear Fund (BEARX), the Rydex Series Inverse S&P 500 Strategy Fund (RYARX) and the ProFunds Bear ProFund (BRPIX). These funds are still going to benefit from potential market downdrafts that will be in existence in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV