Updated from 3:30 p.m. EST
Cerberus Capital Management, the $27 billion private investment manager, has limited withdrawals from its Cerberus Partners fund, which is down 16% for the year through November, according to a CNBC report.
The network's David Faber says Cerberus has also limited withdrawals on other funds where it doesn't already have investor money locked up for several years under the original terms of the contract.
Citing a Dec. 19 letter from Cerberus founder and top executive Stephen Feinberg, Faber says Cerberus is sitting on losses in residential mortgage backed securities, having wrongly believed the market for RMBS had bottomed at the end of September.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV