As 2008 winds down, it is time once again to take that annual retrospective (and introspective) look at your investment portfolio.
In "How to Measure Your Investment Performance," I presented my grading system for evaluating your investments. To refresh your memory, the following is my system. (Please note: Performance should be calculated after you subtract all fees and expenses.)
1. Style DriftMaintaining a consistent investment style, with a consistent benchmark, is one of the keys to laying a foundation for investment management and performance. However, there is a tendency to try to switch from a previously targeted benchmark to a different benchmark just because market conditions have changed. This usually occurs during periods with either very good or very poor market conditions. In the investment world we refer to this as style drift.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV