Five Holiday Cocktails to Boost Holiday Spirits
Helen's Tom & Jerry BatterFor mixologist Tony Abou-Gamin, featured on "Iron Chef" as Mario Batali's bartender, his favorite holiday cocktail is all about tradition. He goes back to where he honed his craft, to Port Huron, Mich., just outside of Detroit, and to The Brass Rail, where his cousin Helen David presided over this town fixture until her death in 2006.
For over 60 years, hot, sweet, eggy Tom & Jerry's have been the custom there, as family members pack into the bar to enjoy the holiday treat. One rule: You must wait until the first snowfall to mix up the season's first batch.
"At Helen's bar, you check your troubles at the door," says Abou-Gamin. "Three generations of family come together, as the youth have their first Tom & Jerry with their folks and grandparents. It wouldn't be Christmas at the Brass Rail without it."
Here's Helen's take on the drink:Helen's Tom & Jerry Batter Recipe
Serves 12 or "4 friends, 3 each"
- 8 jumbo eggs
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Hot water
- 1 ounce Mount Gay Rum
- 1 ounce Remy Martin VSOP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV