Editor's note: This was originally published in two parts on RealMoney. It is being republished as one article as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
On several different occasions I have written about using the Piotroski score to help identify value stocks with significant recovery potential. The score is simply a measurement of nine key balance-sheet and income-statement items to determine not just the financial health of a company but its recovery potential.
It was developed by Joseph Piotroski and tested in his 2000 paper "Value Investing: Using Historical Financial Information to Separate Winners From Losers." Stocks that score in the highest ranges of the system significantly outperform those that have lower scores when combined with the basic value approach of low price to book value.
I have found that the method works very well in practice as well as in theory. I sat down this weekend and ran some screens to find stocks that have high scores on the Piotroski scale and trade below book value. Being me, I also screened for those with solid balance sheets in addition to being cheap. I believe these companies will be among the market leaders when the stock market finally recovers next year.Tecumseh Products (TECUA) is a stock I owned several years ago and am going to revisit now that it shows up on my screens. The company makes compressors, primarily for the refrigeration and air conditioning industries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV