The PowerShares FTSE RAFI US 1000 Portfolio (PRF) started an indexing segment of fundamentally weighted ETFs. The latest entrant is the RevenueShares family of funds, including the recently listed RevenueShares ADR Fund (RTR). RTR takes the components of something called the S&P ADR Index, a cap-weighted index, and re-weights the constituents by revenue.
In the cap-weighted S&P version, HSBC Holdings (HBC) is the largest constituent, at 3.67%, followed by BP (BP), with 2.95%, and Total (TOT), at 2.71%. In RTR, Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) is the largest holding at 5.63%, followed by BP, at 4.38%, and Toyota (TM), with 3.77%. The RevenueShares Web site only provides the top 10 holdings for the S&P benchmark, so it is difficult to compare most of the positions. But, in analyzing RTR, there are quite a few things that pop up.
Think about what the fund does. It weights (mostly) large-cap stocks by revenue. Over the past few years an anomaly emerged within the energy sector. The price of oil skyrocketed, including a parabolic rise to $147 a barrel. Since then, oil has dropped dramatically, as have the prices of energy stocks, slightly more so than the broader market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV