The drugstore chains have also been expanding their selection of food (a major growth category), while Walgreens is testing a café concept aimed at stealing business away from Starbucks (SBUX) and Dunkin' Donuts.
You can't be everything to everyone, but logical outgrowths of your core business can pay off big.
4. Tell a good story: This isn't the best time to be in the luxury-goods business. After all, iconic brands from Tiffany & Co. (TIF) to Neiman Marcus (NMGA) saw sales drop this fall. So how did Ralph Lauren (RL) wind up with a 26% increase in net income over the past six months, compared to the same period last year? Increased international sales, probably due in part to the boost the company got from outfitting the U.S. Olympic Team.
But the long-term secret to Ralph Lauren's success is its story and image, which it sells as much as clothing and accessories. People around the world associate the brand with a particular lifestyle, and it's one they want to be a part of.Does your brand have a strong image? A story that resonates? If not, use these slow days at the end of the year to brainstorm. You'll have to be ready to sell yourself all over again in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV