The drugstore chains have also been expanding their selection of food (a major growth category), while Walgreens is testing a café concept aimed at stealing business away from Starbucks (SBUX) and Dunkin' Donuts.
You can't be everything to everyone, but logical outgrowths of your core business can pay off big.
4. Tell a good story: This isn't the best time to be in the luxury-goods business. After all, iconic brands from Tiffany & Co. (TIF) to Neiman Marcus (NMGA) saw sales drop this fall. So how did Ralph Lauren (RL) wind up with a 26% increase in net income over the past six months, compared to the same period last year? Increased international sales, probably due in part to the boost the company got from outfitting the U.S. Olympic Team.
But the long-term secret to Ralph Lauren's success is its story and image, which it sells as much as clothing and accessories. People around the world associate the brand with a particular lifestyle, and it's one they want to be a part of.Does your brand have a strong image? A story that resonates? If not, use these slow days at the end of the year to brainstorm. You'll have to be ready to sell yourself all over again in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV