The Stock Market Game is a curriculum-based teaching tool that allows students to invest a hypothetical $100,000 online stock portfolio to learn about long-term saving and investing.
Where is Santa? At the corner of Wall and Broad Streets where the New York Stock Exchange sits. Anxious brokers are waiting impatiently for their Santa Claus rally. None is on the horizon so far.
Herculean efforts by the Fed and Treasury are being overshadowed by the looming uncertainty about the new financial laws and regulations President-elect Obama will almost certainly enact. This means credit remains chilly if not frozen and has left banks in a holding pattern. Chrysler and GM (GM) are in tough negotiations with Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson to obtain a bridge loan to survive. However, in recent polling it seems many Americans don't want to bail out the automakers even as European and Japanese governments backstop their car companies. It's been a mean, mean season.
Now, the good news (sort of). It's been a tradition at the Stock Market Game, going all the way back to 2006, to give you a look at some of the best performing long positions at the end of each semester. Unfortunately, most of the stocks your students bought and held have lost money since Sept. 2, 2008, which was the opening of the first SMG game window. However, we here at SMG also track volume, so we present to you the most heavily traded stocks of fall 2008. As of Dec. 12, 2008 (the end of the last game window), the top 10 most popular stocks were:
To learn more about The Stock Market Game, visit www.stockmarketgame.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV