But Wagoner noted that: "Our view has been all along that bankruptcy is a very high risk process, particularly for this industry and particularly at this time. Our intention is to proceed ahead (and) and to make sure that we can put together a plan that doesn't require that."
In a letter to employees and stakeholders on Friday, Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli wrote that his company will use its $4 billion to "continue to implement our plan for long-term viability," and will work with stakeholders "to identify and achieve the cost-savings concessions we need."
Nardelli asked that suppliers "maintain their commitment to reasonable trade terms and normal fulfillment of orders as long as the federal loan is outstanding." Meanwhile, Chrysler owner Cerberus Capital Management said Friday it will invest the first $2 billion of Chrysler Financial profits in the financing firm's parent automaker. It said the funding will back up the $4 billion federal loan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV