Updated from Thursday, Dec. 18
The estimated 4,600 employees from Wachovia's (WB) investment banking division will see bonuses cut at least 90% this year, according to a manager in the unit.
Wachovia investment banking unit employees were told last week their bonuses would drop by 90%, according to the manager. Rolfe "Rik" Kopelan, managing partner with executive recruiting firm Capstone Partnership, says "sources " at Wachovia, who he declined to name, told him on Thursday pay has now been revised even further downward to between 3% and 5% of last year ahead of its planned merger with Wells Fargo (WFC).
"[Wells Fargo Chairman] Dick Kovacevich has said he wants to bring rationality to investment banking pay, but this isn't rational. What does it say about an institution?" Kopelan says . He believes virtually the entire investment banking unit will leave at the first opportunity.The numbers appear to conflict with what Wachovia has said publicly about compensation for its investment bankers. A Wachovia spokeswoman sent over a statement that read "management has decided that discretionary incentive plans for 2008 will pay an average of 20% of incentive targets, with differentiation based on performance." Wachovia spokeswoman Christy Phillips Brown declined to elaborate on the statement. Wells Fargo shareholders will vote on the bank's purchase of Wachovia on Tuesday. The reduced compensation at Wachovia comes as most top Wall Street banks are doing the same. The top seven executives at Goldman have all said they will forgo 2008 bonuses, which led top executives at Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch and other firms to do the same.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV