The Chase for Low Mortgage Rates Is On
Rates on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages are down to 5.34% this week. That's the lowest they've been in close to half a century, reports Freddie Mac (FRE), and consumers are scrambling to take advantage.
Refinance activity had been already on the rise, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association , but the most recent move this week by the Federal Reserve to lower the federal funds rate and to buy up large amounts of mortgage debt have added fuel to the fire.
TheStreet.com Ratings analyst Philip van Doorn says the Fed's rate cut "will hopefully spur the market to start moving some of the vast inventory of new houses." However, van Doorn cautions that the new rates won't help homeowners whose "homes are now worth considerably less than their outstanding balances."
The surge in refinancing has driven many consumers online to investigate their options. " BankingMyWay.com has seen a significant increase in traffic by people using our rate tools," says James Freiman, the site's general manager. The site offers up-to-date information on interest rates ranging from mortgages and home equity loans to savings accounts and certificates of deposits.For instance, in the New York metropolitan area, lenders are offering rates on 30-year FRMs ranging from 5.125% from Pathfinder Bank (PBHC) to 5.5% from Wells Fargo (WFC). Rates on 15-year FRMs are even lower, with offered rates around 4.82% from Alliance Bank (ALNC) and 5.0% from JPMorgan Chase (JPM).
Deciding to RefinanceIf you currently hold an adjustable-rate mortgage, refinancing with an FRM will allow you to lock in historically low rates for the life of the loan. However, whether to refinance your current FRM generally depends on how long you plan on living in your home. The refinancing process carries closing costs that can total anywhere from 2% to 4% of your overall loan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV