How to RV the Earth-Friendly Way
If you love the idea of exploring the country in your own home but can't handle the guilt of a massive carbon footprint -- let alone the expense of a gas-guzzling standard recreational vehicle -- green RVing may be for you.
Green RVing isn't an oxymoron. A green RV is built with green building materials, uses renewable energy and is fuel- and energy-efficient. So if the open road beckons, consider choosing a greener RV -- or retrofit your current RV to be as eco-friendly as possible. Here are tips on how to do it.
BuyingIf you're in the market for a new RV, look for a fuel-efficient model. Last summer, Damon Motor Coach introduced the Avanti, a Class-A clean diesel motorhome that promises to get at least 14.5 miles per gallon. That may sound dismal, but it's more than 80% better than the average RV, which gets just 8 mpg. The Avanti -- with an aerodynamic design that the manufacturer calls "the most drivable Class-A motorhome" -- starts at $144,060.
Sportsmobile offers Class-B motorhomes, also known as camper vans. The company converts Ford (F), Dodge and Chevrolet/GM (GM) vans into custom RVs with fuel-efficiency ratings between 12 and 20 miles per gallon. Base costs vary depending on the van model: A Sportsmobile 2009 Ford RB Van starts around $56,000, while the more fuel-efficient Sportsmobile 2009 Dodge Sprinter RB Van starts around $73,000.
|Travel the country without leaving behind a giant carbon footprint.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV