There have been numerous articles in recent months saying diversification doesn't work and others reassuring investors that, yes, diversification still works.
As with many debates, the answer might be in the middle. Investors may need to come to grips with the idea that they still need to diversify, but there is an evolution both in the science of portfolio construction and the management of a diversified portfolio in stock-market cycles.
Tying the concepts I've been writing about for several years along with work done by others including RealMoney contributor Mebane Faber, we can explore how to account for the continued need to get a return on savings and acknowledge that buying and holding all the way down through a bear market is not comfortable for many people.
Starting at the asset-class level:
- Domestic equities, 20%: iShares Russell 3000 Index Fund (IWV).
- Foreign equities, 15%: SPDR ACWI ex-US ETF (CWI).
- Commodities, 5%: PowerShares DB Commodity Tracking Fund (DBC).
- Domestic bonds, 10%: iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Fund (AGG).
- Foreign bonds, 10%: SPDR Barclays International Treasury Bond ETF (BWX).
- Inflation-protected, 10%: iShares Barclays TIP Bond Fund (TIP).
- Absolute return, 15% (5% each): Nakoma Absolute Return (NARFX), Rydex Managed Futures (RYMFX), Dover Long Short Sector Fund (DLSAX).
- Cash, 15%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV