The Quiet(est) Side of St. John, USVI
"We're here because we're not all there" is the unofficial slogan for Coral Bay, a town on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The slogan could fit St. John itself, an extremely hilly, 20-square-mile piece of tropical paradise that boasts no airport, one ferry dock and a national park that covers two-thirds of the island. Even Cruz Bay, the island's major (and only other) town, is a charming seaside spot, though parking is scarce and the area can be overrun by cruise-ship visitors.
Many Coral Bay residents feel the slogan also separates their village from Cruz Bay -- and many visitors like the smaller town even better. The tiny outpost on the far side of the island from the ferry landing is surrounded by truly deserted beaches, a lively restaurant and shopping scene -- and none of the crowds and resorts of many Caribbean destinations.
Here's the lowdown on this laid-back community, along with a few recession-friendly tips to use once you arrive.
Getting ThereMost visitors to St. John fly in to St. Thomas. Passenger ferries run from there to Cruz Bay, where buses, taxis and rental cars -- the best way to see the island -- are available. Rentals start at roughly $75 a day. Saving tip: An airport rental and a 20-minute drive to the car barge can cut $30 or more off your daily rate. Make sure the rental company allows travel to St. John. While Budget (CAR) and others do, some don't.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV