Kass: Madoff Mess Is Widespread
This blog post originally appeared on RealMoney Silver on Dec. 15 at 8:03 a.m. EST.
Life at its best is bittersweet.
I have had a good year investing. Some of my oldest friends are also my Limited Partners. My performance in 2008 is a sense of personal achievement for me. Through hard work, a skeptical and independent view and by virtue of hard-hitting analysis, I have made money for my investors in a challenging period.
Meanwhile, many of my other friends have been caught up in the alleged Madoff fraud -- many others.As I related on Friday, if accurately reported, the Madoff Ponzi scheme is the biggest fraud of all time, bigger than Bayou and Enron combined. In that column, I detailed my experience of analyzing a Madoff account in 2005, the process of which made me an early nonbeliever because the numbers simply did not add up. I also enumerated six red flags that should have been picked up by investors (and their agents), many of whom put their entire investment capital with Madoff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV