CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Of course the economy has slowed to a crawl. Just don't tell UPS (UPS) driver Emory Spears, who still delivers 300 to 400 packages each day.
"Every morning, when you put on that brown uniform, you're like a football player or a basketball player: It's time to go into battle," says Spears, 53. He has been a UPS driver for 31 years, the last 28 on the same route in Charlotte's upscale Dilworth neighborhood, full of small businesses, medical officers and small, neat single-family residences.
UPS was once viewed as a leading indicator, in the days when consumers shopped at malls and businesses ordered supplies months in advance. But in today's just-in-time, click-to-order world, the biggest package shipper has become a proxy for the economy in real time, with 6% of the U.S. GDP and 2% of the world's GDP in its system at any given moment.
|Veteran UPS driver Emory Spears (in his truck) chatted with TSC staff writer Ted Reed (foreground, in uniform, too) about how business in the Charlotte, N.C. region has fared during the economic downturn.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV