The following ratings changes were generated on Friday, Dec. 12.
We've downgraded Allete (ALE), which engages in the generation, transmission, distribution and marketing of electrical power, from buy to hold. Strengths include its increase in net income, revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, a decline in the stock price during the past year and poor profit margins.
Net income increased by 49.7% compared with the same quarter one year prior, rising from $16.5 million to $24.7 million and outperforming the S&P 500 and the electric utilities industry. Revenue slight increased by 0.4%, underperforming the industry average of 9.7% but boosting EPS. Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $47.10 million, or 2.16% compared with the same quarter last year, but Allete's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 25.13%. Return on equity slightly decreased, implying a minor weakness in the organization and underperforming both the industry and the S&P 500.
Shares are down a sharp 27.8% on the year, though the broader market experienced a deeper plunge during the same time frame. Despite the heavy decline in its share price, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry.We've downgraded Cadence Design Systems (CDNS), which develops electronic design automation software and hardware for electronics companies worldwide, from hold to sell, driven by its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV