Madoff Scandal: This Could Really Hurt
Updated from Dec. 11
The Thursday arrest of Wall Street investor Bernie Madoff would be great fodder for playwrights Arthur Miller or David Mamet -- the story of a great American schemer driven to desperation to maintain his relevance as the world passes him by -- except it could do real damage when the markets open Friday.
The charges against Madoff are damning. Indeed, the Securities and Exchange Commission characterized the alleged fraud as "stunning" and "epic" in proportion. The former Nasdaq stock market vice chairman allegedly ran an elaborate Ponzi scheme with clients of his firm, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, and did so for years at the loss of some $50 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV