Updated from Thursday, Dec. 11
General Motors (GM) has hired advisers to help it decide whether to file for bankruptcy, a published report said Thursday.
The Wall Street Journal, citing people who had knowledge of the situation, said GM has retained Harvey Miller of the law firm Weil Gotshal & Manges in New York. Additionally, the Detroit-based carmaker has consulted with restructuring experts Jay Alix, Evercore Partners' William Repko and Blackstone's (BX) Arthur Newman, the report said.
GM, along with Ford (F) and Chrysler, has been trying to get Washington to hand out billions of dollars in aid to the auto industry. But a $14 billion emergency bailout for U.S. automakers collapsed in the Senate Thursday night after the United Auto Workers refused to accede to Republican demands for swift wage cuts.Detroit's carmakers have said repeatedly in recent weeks that they are opposed to Chapter 11 filings, and many politicians have been on their side, fearing that bankruptcy for any of the Big Three would have far-reaching consequences for nationwide employment and the overall economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV