We've upgraded Bank of the Ozarks (OZRK) from hold to buy, driven by its increase in net income, expanding profit margins, growth in earnings per share, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value.
Net income increased by 7.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $8.40 million to $9.01 million and outperforming the S&P 500 and the commercial banks industry. Bank of the Ozarks' gross profit margin for is rather high at 52.30%, having increased from the same quarter the previous year, and its net profit margin of 18.10% is above that of the industry average. Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 64.09% to $15.26 million when compared with the same quarter last year, but the company is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 118.5%.
Revenue declined 0.9% since the same quarter a year ago, but the declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share. EPS are up 6% in the most recent quarter compared with the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past two years indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. During the past fiscal year, Bank of the Ozarks' EPS of $1.89 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $1.89. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings to $2.03.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV