What the big drug companies should be doing is spending a lot more time around Boston and San Francisco, doling out the cash they do have to smaller biotech firms in need of the green stuff. In exchange, Big Pharma firms get what they desperately need: new drugs to fill the gaping holes that cheaper, generic drugs have created in their pipelines.
By my count (and with the help of a database maintained by BioMedTracker), more than 60 biotech and small drug companies are conducting clinical trials on unpartnered drugs at this time. Surely, some of these companies, not all, will become either alliance or takeover targets for Big Pharma in the next year.
Among the biotech and drug companies on this "singles" list are Allos Therapeutics (ALTH) and its blood cancer drug PDX, Ardea Biosciences (RDEA) and its HIV drug RDEA806 and BioSante Pharmaceuticals (BPAX), which is going to need deep pockets to launch a female sexual dysfunction drug called LibiGel.Obesity is a growing epidemic in this country, yet three small drugmakers with weight-loss drugs in phase III studies -- Vivus (VVUS), Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) and Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) -- are all without Big Pharma partners. If Dendreon (DNDN) can prove to the world that its prostate cancer immunotherapy Provenge works, it's not hard to envision the company getting a lot of interest from a large pharmaceutical partner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV