Mistletoe Hunting, With a 12-Gauge Shotgun
Beyond the presents, ornaments and cookies, Christmas offers the magic of mistletoe. By simply standing in the right place, you signal to those near to you a desire for a kiss. The tradition is unsubtle and proactive, and it brings a little naughty into this decidedly G-rated holiday.
Over Thanksgiving, I went on a mistletoe hunt with friends in North Carolina. I was surprised to learn that you didn't just hunt for the green leaves at your local Christmas supply store. Mistletoe grows in pecan, oak and apple trees across the country. It is a hemi-parasite, which means it roots beneath the bark of the host tree, and is able to create its own food through photosynthesis. Birds spread the plant by ingesting the seeds and transporting them from tree to tree.
Since mistletoe grows in the high branches, beyond the reach of a ladder, you can either climb the tree and cut it down, or grab a gun and shoot it down.
Most folks pick the latter. Since I do not own a shotgun, my pal Theresa Galletto offered to bring her daddy's 12-gauge. Theresa is an experienced skeet shooter and a professional golf pro, so I felt confident that she'd hit the mark.
|Tools of the hunt|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV