Bastian believes something on the extremely unlikely order of a 20% drop in revenue would have to occur to offset the anticipated decline in fuel costs. "We've never seen the level of demand destruction that some are forecasting," he said.
At United, fourth-quarter capacity will be down 11%. After reducing its current-quarter guidance, United now projects revenue per available seat mile growth of 2.5% to 4.5%. Looking ahead to 2009, the carrier predicts that various fees will produce $1.2 billion in new revenue and that by year-end, it will have shed 100 of the 460 aircraft in its mainline fleet.
For Alaska, advanced bookings are up 3 points in December, 3 points in January and 1 point in February, compared with the same period last year, said Brandon Pederson, vice president of finance. Loads at subsidiary Horizon are unchanged. Pederson noted that Alaska has reduced capacity by 8% and that guidance "will likely tick up a bit."
Meanwhile, US Airways CEO Doug Parker says, "November was very soft." AirTran's Fornaro says that was because the stock market was melting down, travel slowed during election week and the late Thanksgiving pushed traffic into December.Both December and January look better than November, Parker said. For the industry, "most of us see improvements in RASM in the fourth quarter and most people are predicting RASM improvements in 2009," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV