Redstone to Sell Control of Midway Games
Sumner Redstone has sold his controlling stake in videogame company Midway Games (MWY) to a private investor, according to a report.
Redstone's holding company, National Amusements, is expected to announce Monday that it sold its 87% stake in Midway to investor Mark Thomas, a move that represents a significant loss on the media mogul's investment but secures a hefty tax benefit as he negotiates other asset sales, the Wall Street Journal reports.
National Amusements is in talks with its banks to restructure its $1.6 billion debt pile after breaching one of its debt covenants. As part of the restructuring, the Redstone family has been discussing selling some of its assets, including some movie theaters and a holding in slot-machine company WMS Industries (WMS), the newspaper reports.
The sale of the Midway stake, agreed upon Friday, wasn't conducted as part of a deal with the banks but is likely to ease the pressure on the Redstone family and potentially contribute to a final deal.Thomas has agreed to pay about $100,000, or $0.0012 a share, for the Midway stake and will assume $70 million of senior secured and unsecured debt, National Amusements is expected to detail in a 13D filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, the Journal reports. Redstone poured hundreds of millions of dollars into the company, only to see his investment fizzle as Midway Games failed to create new hit games and its stock collapsed. Redstone's stake had a market value of just $30 million Friday, according to the newspaper.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV