The Hefty Costs of a DUI
Driving drunk is a bad decision for obvious reasons. Get behind the wheel after too many holiday cocktails and you run the risk of ending up in the back of a police cruiser -- or, worse, the back of an ambulance. But alongside the danger of arrest or causing harm to yourself and others, there's another reason to avoid driving under the influence: DUIs cost big bucks.
"A DUI is just extremely expensive," says Jason Mayberry, an attorney in Tampa, Fla., who specializes in DUI cases at his firm, Mayberry/Rich.
A DUI can cost a driver thousands of dollars for a relatively straightforward offense -- or considerably more if the DUI also involves an accident that caused injuries or deaths. And it can seriously harm your reputation -- consider the case of Douglas Parker, the CEO of U.S. Airways (LCC) who was nabbed for DUI just a few hours after the company's 2007 takeover bid for Delta Air Lines (DAL) was rejected.
From towing and bail to lawyers' fees and fines, DUI is an expensive proposition. Here's a rundown on the financial impact of a DUI conviction.Towing and impound. Failing a field sobriety test is a one-way ticket to the police station. You get to ride in the back of the cruiser while your car gets hitched to a tow truck and dragged to an impound lot. Before you pick up your car, make sure to hit the ATM. "I've had clients pay $300 or $400 after their cars were towed and kept overnight," says Mayberry. Be aware that DUI laws in some states require people to forfeit their vehicles, especially in the case of a repeat offender. A second-time DUI offender in Tennessee, for example, may have his or her car seized by the state.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV