Need a Loan? Think 'Union'
Similar standards. Many banks and large financial institutions have tightened their lending standards in the wake of the subprime mortgage crisis. Credit unions, however, have kept their standards relatively steady over the past few years. The only problem is that while many banks were lowering their standards to take advantage of the housing boom, most credit unions kept theirs comparatively high. So though there's plenty of lending going on, risky borrowers will have a more difficult time securing a loan. Still, credit unions are local lenders, so it's worth meeting with a credit union official to discuss your lending options.
Broader memberships. While there are still some credit unions that only work with employees from a particular company or members of a certain congregation, many credit unions are expanding their membership. In many cases, membership eligibility now encompasses all residents in a given county or region, so credit unions are essentially regional entities.
So whether it's for you or your business, the next time your bank or major lender turns you down for a loan, take a second to consider your local credit union. Check out CUNA's search page to find a credit union near you.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV