Tim Brown: Make the Call With RIM
What a difference a week can make. In one of my columns last week, I went over the NFL playoff picture. I noted how the Green Bay Packers were fighting for the division crown and the New Orleans Saints were a long shot to make the playoffs. Both teams were 5-5 at the time, but the Packers were in a weaker division and fighting for the title, and the Saints were pulling up the rear of a much tougher division.
Well, last night the two teams faced off in a Monday Night matchup. The results were not pretty for the Pack and the ending could have serious implications on the playoff race with just five weeks remaining in the NFL regular season.
The Saints kicked a field goal with two seconds remaining before the half to pull ahead 24-21 in a game that had seesawed back and forth for most of the first two quarters. However, in the third quarter it all fell apart for the Pack. The Saints scored three straight touchdowns, including one on a 70-yard pass from Drew Brees to Marques Colston that put them up 45-21. The final score was an embarrassing 51-29.
The Saints racked up 416 yards on 54 plays. That works out to a stunning 7.7 yards per play. Green Bay's defense did not do anything to help its cause this week and was clearly disappointed in its performance after the game. On the other sideline, the Saints delivered a whooping. It could give the team added confidence, which it will need to make a run for the playoffs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV