Diabetes-Drug Makers Face FDA Hurdle
"An FDA mandate for cardiovascular screening trials prior to approval for all novel diabetes drugs will slow development and increase costs (potentially making it uneconomical for some and pushing incremental capital in other directions)" wrote Morgan Stanley's Harr.
If a company has a diabetes drug in phase II studies where the increased risk of heart attack or stroke cannot be ruled in or out, the FDA may require that company to conduct a much larger and longer phase III clinical trial to definitively rule out any such heart risk. Such a trial could add years and tens of millions of dollars to the development costs, Harr writes in his note.
For other companies, the FDA may grant conditional approval of a diabetes drug but still require a post-approval cardiovascular risk study. Such an expense would reduce the near-term profit margin on any new diabetes drug, Harr says.
Mads Krogsgaard Thomsen, chief science officer of Novo Nordisk, said he expects a discussion about a post-approval cardiovascular commitment to be discussed at the April advisory panel meeting.Merck (MRK) recently announced that it would conduct a post-approval study of its diabetes drug Januvia in 14,000 diabetics specifically to look for increased heart safety risks. Senior Wrtiter Adam Feuerstein contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV