Diabetes-Drug Makers Face FDA Hurdle
The FDA convened an advisory panel last summer that recommended drug companies conduct long-term cardiovascular risk trials for all diabetes drug candidates, regardless of whether there was any prior evidence of a heart safety signal during clinical testing.
The new FDA letters essentially follow up on that recommendation, informing drugmakers that they must collect cardiac safety data for any diabetes drug currently in clinical studies.
The letters do not offer specific instructions on how the data are to be collected. If a company can collect the relevant safety data from existing or ongoing clinical trials, any delay caused by the FDA request may be relatively minor.
However, any company that has to start new studies to collect the heart-safety data could face significant delays and added expense.Amylin and partner Eli Lilly (LLY) are co-developing Byetta LAR, also known as "exenatide once weekly," a long-acting version of their currently marketed diabetes drug Byetta. A spokesperson for Amylin confirmed the receipt of the FDA letter. "Amylin and Lilly have discussed our submission plans with the FDA in our pre-NDA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV