Omrix is expected to operate as a stand-alone entity reporting through Johnson & Johnson's Ethicon subsidiary, a provider of suture, mesh, hemostats for surgery. In a statement Monday, Johnson & Johnson said the acquisition provides Ethicon with an "opportunity to strengthen its presence in active, biologic-based hemostats and convergent products for various surgical applications. "
Under the terms of the agreement, Johnson & Johnson will begin a tender offer to Omrix shares for $25 each. The tender offer is expected to close by the end of December.
Shares of Omrix closed Friday at $21.16.Robert Taub, Omrix's CEO, and entities he controls, have agreed to tender about 16% of Omrix's outstanding shares to the tender. If the deal closes in 2008, Johnson & Johnson said it expects to incur a one-time, after-tax charge of about $120 million from the write-off of in-process research and development charges. Johnson & Johnson said the acquisition is expected to be breakeven to slightly dilutive to its 2009 per-share earnings. Ethicon currently has exclusive distribution rights in the U.S. and the European Union for two active, biologic-based hemostats manufactured by Omrix. The companies also are partners on a separate surgical product which is in Phase II trials.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV