Click here for an archive of Jim Cramer's Mad Money recaps.
"If we ever want to see a sustainable rally again, we need dramatic action," Jim Cramer told viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Thursday.
He said that the systemic risks to the market have once again put the possibility of another Great Depression back on the table. "We are not done going down," he said.Cramer unveiled his "tough love" plan for taking the risk out of the markets and restoring confidence in the U.S. economy. He called on President-elect Barack Obama not to wait until January to take action. "We need to act now," he said. Here's his eight-point plan. First, Obama needs to hold a press conference and announce that the federal government will not allow any more big financial institutions to fail. Second, we need to ensure the the safety of all life insurance and annuities. It may take another bailout or consolidation, but another AIG (AIG) scare cannot happen. Third, the government must stem house price depreciation by issuing tax credits for home purchases and by reinstalling the TARP plan with changes that don't penalize the banks for taking aid. Fourth, the government must insure the bonds of both Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE) to allow those institutions to continue their work. Fifth, the government must step in to buy up and stabilize some of the collateralized debt obligations, or CDOs, to stabilize that market. Sixth, the government must providing financing for any auto company that files for bankruptcy and provide no relief for those that don't. Some must be saved, but possibly not all three.
Cramer: Yahoo! a Play for Iron Stomachs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV