It's at that point in the season when the contenders hunker down and make things happen, while the pretenders start looking to next year. There are 32 teams in the NFL and about 19 of them have decent playoff hopes.
In the NFC, a lot of the action is pretty clear cut already. In the West, the Arizona Cardinals have a commanding four-game lead over the closest division opponent.
With just six games to play, it would take either a monumental collapse or unbelievable luck by the 3-7 San Francisco 49ers, the 2-8 Seattle Seahawks or the 2-8 St. Louis Rams. The best the Rams or Seahawks can hope for is an 8-8 record, and that's if they run the table. It's a long shot to win the division and 8-8 won't get them into the wildcard spot in the NFC this season.
In the South, the Carolina Panthers lead the division at 8-2, but the Tampa Bay Bucs are not far behind at 7-3, and the Falcons are still within reach of the division at 6-4. Right now, if the season ended today, the Bucs would be the No. 5 seed in the NFC, taking the top wildcard spot. The New Orleans Saints are bringing up the rear in that division at 5-5, which isn't a terrible record, but considering the number of teams with the same or better record, their chances of reaching the post season are slim at best.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV