Bears Roar Into Finish; Dow Closes Below 8000
As General Motors continued to scrape for cash, German solar firm SolarWorld announced plans to buy assets of GM's German segment, Adam Opel.
The U.S. auto companies weren't the only ones coping with a tough market. Toyota (TM) said it will cut production in North American plants and lay off 250 of its temporary workers. Shares slipped 5.5% to $59.76.
Boeing (BA), which along with GM is a Dow component, is resetting its production schedule as it attempts to recover from a strike by its machinists' union, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal. Boeing shed 5.3% to $37.48.
Meanwhile, industrial conglomerate and fellow Dow company General Electric (GE) said it would restructure its GE Capital finance branch to cut costs. Shares tumbled 10% to $14.45.Elsewhere, government-controlled mortgage firm Fannie Mae (FNM) received notice from the New York Stock Exchange that it faces delisting if it can't keep its share price above $1. The stock dropped 19% to 38 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV