Bears Roar Into Finish; Dow Closes Below 8000
The Federal Reserve's Open Market Committee also released minutes from its latest meeting. The minutes indicated the central bank expects GDP to be flat for 2008, down from a previous estimate of 0.3% growth. The FOMC notes also said that additional interest-rate cuts may be necessary and indicated that the Fed would continue to do whatever is needed to aid the economy.
Few stocks remained afloat in the wash of negative sentiment.
Contributing to investor fear was the hobbled automotive sector. After arriving hat in hand on Capitol Hill Tuesday to plead their case for access to federal funding, chief executives of the woebegone companies General Motors (GM), Ford (F) and Chrysler were attempting again Wednesday to exchange a grilling by members of Congress for billions of dollars in government aid. The Big Three have been walloped lately by a combination of flagging sales, troubles in their finance divisions and high labor costs.
GM shares plummeted 9.7% to $2.79, and Ford tanked 25% to $1.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV