The airlines "had been protected, and they had built in the cost of relationships that might or might not have made sense, but were unmanageable after deregulation," Levine says. "It is basically the same story for the automakers."
That history makes it hard for GM's Wagoner to consider bankruptcy, Levine says: "It's hard for him to get his head around the idea that he would take the company through a bankruptcy restructuring, in which you have to become politically unpopular." After all, bankrupt companies reject decades-old financial relationships with partners including dealers, suppliers and other leaseholders and, of course, labor unions.
"Part of the reason you have to go into bankruptcy is to renegotiate
Without question, it took time for the airline industry to reach the point where bankruptcy fell within its comfort zone. "When airlines first contemplated going into Chapter 11, they were told no one would fly on a bankrupt airline," Levine says. "It turns out that wasn't true."In the 1980s, two airlines used bankruptcy largely as a technique for battling their unions. Both Continental (CAL) and Eastern were Frank Lorenzo properties. A 1983 Continental bankruptcy was intended to break union contracts. The 1989 Eastern bankruptcy came in response to a strike. Eastern eventually shut down, as did Pan American World Airways, which followed it into bankruptcy in 1991.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV