Burger King is about a third of the size of McDonald's based on total restaurants, and it trails in the number of international outlets. BKC's stock is down about 30% this year. Yum! Brands (YUM), owner of KFC and Taco Bell, has seen its shares plunge 32%. MCD has fallen just 4%.
However, numerous risks face the company.
Since McDonald's does a significant amount of international business, it faces foreign-exchange risks and may be hurt if the dollar continues to appreciate. A quick ratio of 0.82 and current ratio of 0.98 indicate a weak liquidity position. The company has a reasonable amount of debt as reflected by a debt to capital ratio of 0.43.
McDonald's business may continue to thrive if the economy shrinks further, but will that translate to stock price appreciation? Not necessarily. Even sound companies are being battered in the stock-market selloff. McDonald's has outperformed competitors and improved profitability, but the shares remain depressed. Market pessimism, not company performance, is preventing investors from reaping the rewards of McDonald's success.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV