Hunt, Don't Shop, for Thanksgiving Turkey
This isn't the year to swap the Thanksgiving turkey for cedar-plank salmon or a tofu bird.
Americans have experienced enough change lately. Thanksgiving is the time to hold fast to dependable traditions.
So you need a turkey. But you don't have to be boring about it.
Are you the proverbial hunter for your family? Why not bring that metaphor to life with a real-life turkey hunt? Wild turkeys aren't as ditzy as their drown-in-a-puddle domesticated cousins. They have a keenly developed sense of sight and are challenging to bag outside of spring mating season.Before grabbing your bow and arrow, check your local hunting guidelines, get yourself a hunting license and find a state-approved hunting area. For those new to the sport, experienced Maryland hunter Mark Devey advises, "Be sure wherever you're going, the turkeys are there." Though I always agree with a man holding a shotgun, Devey's advice is good for anyone who wants to put a turkey on the table. The best birds sell out fast, so secure your bird sooner than later. If you prefer to purchase your turkeys pre-killed, how about a heritage bird? Heritage turkeys are defined as those that can reproduce without assistance, grow slowly and are able to live a long, productive life. Which makes them healthier than most American banks. Visit Heritage Foods or Local Harvest to select from a dozen breeds. Read about the different types, then buy the turkey directly from the site. Or choose from a variety of nearby farms and take a drive. Sure beats a trip down the frozen food aisle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV