General Motors (GM) may get dumped by the Dow Jones Industrial Average if the nation's biggest carmaker strikes the wrong kind of bailout deal with the government.
Just like American International Group (AIG), membership in the Dow may depend on the kind of deal it strikes with the government, said John Prestbo, editor and executive director of Dow Jones Indexes.
"We took out AIG because the government took a big stake in that company, and now GM has its hand out and we'll be taking a close look at what form it takes," Prestbo said. "If it comes at all, then we'll look at replacing GM."
Chrysler got the boot in 1979, when it faced its bankruptcy days. So, the writing is on the wall for GM, which has said it doesn't have enough cash to last another year.That means that all the ETF's and index funds pegged to the DJIA will need to change accordingly, putting GM in a potential death spiral.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV