Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) reported a 46% decline in third-quarter net income to $63.9 million, or 72 cents a share, on a pullback in consumer spending and a difficult economic environment, and said it expect fourth-quarter earnings well below analysts' estimates.
Earnings in the year-earlier third quarter were $117.6 million, or $1.29 a share.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected the retailer to report third-quarter earnings of 71 cents a share.
Total company net sales fell 8% to $896.3 million in the quarter, while same-store sales declined 14%.Abercrombie said Friday it now expects fourth-quarter earnings of $1 to $1.05 a share, with fiscal year earnings of $3.27 to $3.32 a share. The guidance assumes a decline in same-store sales of 26% in the period, in line with the early November trend. Analysts expect fourth-quarter earnings of $1.57 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV