SAN FRANCISCO -- Meet the new Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).
The troubled chipmaker opened its proverbial kimono Thursday, giving investors the first detailed look at the financial underpinnings and strategic plan that will guide the company through the most significant reorganization in its history.
With the global economy unraveling, and the interestingly timed Intel (INTC) sales warning hours earlier confirming the dismal state of demand for PCs, AMD is re-inventing itself amid a difficult and uncertain business environment.
"It is stormy out there ...we all want to forget October," Chief Financial Officer Bob Rivet told the audience gathered in Sunnyvale, Calif., for its annual analyst day. But he said he was confident the storm would pass, although he held off on updating the company's financial guidance until early next month, when Rivet is scheduled to speak at an investor conference.Instead, Rivet and the rest of AMD's top brass filled in key gaps about what AMD will look like once it completes the spinoff of its chip manufacturing arm, slated to occur in mid-January. Besides ceasing to manufacturing its chips in-house, AMD 2.0 will focus on offering value-oriented products for the masses rather than chasing the performance-hungry crowd -- and most importantly, executives stressed, it will be profitable. "We've collectively had enough of losing money. And we're looking forward to hearing the cash register start ringing," said CEO Dirk Meyer. AMD has lost more than $5 billion over the past eight quarters. But the manufacturing spinoff and various cuts to operating expenses -- including the most recent layoff of 500 workers -- means that AMD is now officially capable of breaking even with $1.5 billion in quarterly revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV